The biggest bonus to new motherhood is that there is a small window where you are licensed to eat just about whatever you want. So I ate with abandon, my lovely gift from my sisters. Since I can no longer eat with abandon (read: cholesterol, age), I have found a very receptive group who do appreciate the greatness that is Gran Fran's Best Quality Cheddar Mac and Cheese: new parents in our friends and family circle.
Ah, let the cheesy goodness prevail!
Gran Fran's Best Quality Cheddar Mac and Cheese Serves 6 (4 if you want to eat huge portions like a maniac!)
One Large Non-Reactive Stockpot (nonstick if you have it) One Large Baking Dish (I usually use a 9x12" Pyrex)
- 1 pound Elbow Macaroni, cooked and drained
- 3 Tbs Butter
- 3 Tbs Flour
- 3 Cups Milk
- 1 and 1/2 pounds Best Quality Cheddar, crumbled or shredded (preferably white, it just looks better!)
- 1 Tsp. Dry Mustard
- 1 Tsp. Cayenne (you can add more it you like it spicier)
- 1/4 cup Bread Crumbs (may need a little more or less here, it's to cover the top)
- Butter for the top, and for greasing the pan
Method: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Make a roux (which is just the butter and flour mixed together over medium heat in the stockpot, until it turns brown).
- When roux has browned, add the milk. Stir well over high heat for 1 minute, then reduce the heat.
- Add the dry spices.
- Simmer 10 minutes on low, stirring occasionally.
- Add crumbled or shredded cheese. Stir until melted
- Add cooked/drained macaroni. Stir until well coated.
- Butter the baking dish well. Pour in the mixture of Mac and Cheese from the stockpot into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top, and butter in small pieces as well.
- Bake at 375 degrees on top of a baking sheet for 35 to 40 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling up at the sides.