As you may or may not already know, I'm a really big meat eater so BBQ vegan skewers are not normally I'd partake in, let alone create.
Given the bounty of the season, and my effort to eat a bit lighter, I thought we'd give some vegan skewers a try. I've been getting amazing vegetables these past few months and want to showcase their flavor. What better way to do this than by grilling veggie and tofu skewers, coated with a light olive oil mustard and thyme marinade?
Tofu has only appeared once on this site, as part of my beloved version of Cook's Illustrated's Hot and Sour Soup. I usually eat around the tofu in the soup, only eating little bits of it for the texture. Imagine how delighted I was by the flavor and consistency that the tofu had in these skewers. Not crisp, but firm, and just the right amount of marinade seeped into the tofu cubes to give you that extra flavor in every bite.
I do have to admit, I think I'd like these more with shrimp in them, but the tofu was a surprisingly good part of the whole.
BBQ Vegan Skewers
- 6 skewers, soaked in water if they are wood
- ½ block super firm tofu, water pressed out, cut into cubes
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup summer squash cut into chunks
- 12 mushrooms, cleaned, ends trimmed but left whole
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 2 sprigs thyme leaves, minced
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Preheat grill to high.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Alternating squash, onion, tofu and mushroom, make six skewers.
- Brush with the dressing on all sides.
- Place on the grill and cook for five minutes with the lid closed.
- Open the lid, brush with dressing on all sides, cook for five minutes more on second side, turn and repeat above steps.