Candied salmon makes me happy.
I first discovered this Whole Foods wonder about four years ago. Back then, I ate is as a very tasty sweet snack. Nowadays, as I'm trying to watch my girlish figure, I eat just a little of this golden treat alongside greens and a poached egg.
There are other brands of this lovely delicacy, so try and find some and make yourself a special breakfast.
Poached Eggs ala Gran Fran
- small saucepan for boiling water
- 2 tsps red or white wine vinegar
- 1 egg
- Fill saucepan 3/4 of the way full with water
- Add vinegar.
- Set the pan on the stove to boil.
- Crack the egg onto a small plate or saucer, being careful not to break the yolk.
- Once the water is boiling, spin the water around in the center of the pan using a fork to create a whirlpool.
- Quickly and carefully pour the egg into the center of the whirlpool.
- At this point, I use a large metal spoon to help the whites congeal together around the yolk. Just keep on gently pushing the whites toward the yolk and eventually, they attach to each other.
- Remove the egg from the boiling water once the white seems set (it takes a bit of trial and error).
- If the spoon is big enough, keep the egg on there and pour off any extra water onto a paper towel.
- Serve it up with the candied salmon and some greens.