A wonderful Mother's day breakfast created by three generations: me, mymother and my daughter. It's not a complicated meal, but it is delicious and means a lot to me.
My daughter usually makes me corn muffins on the big day. I've always loved them, and she knows it. She generally serves them with a side of strawberries.
When I serve strawberries, I like to soak them in a simple syrup infused with mint. That's my contribution to this meal.
As for my mother, Gran Fran, no matter how long it has been, to me Spring and Summer at her house mean iced blended cappuccino drinks.
Please enjoy this with your family and let Mama put her feet up and relax while you scurry around and meet her every need.
Isabella's Corn Muffins
- 1 stick, 8 tablespoons, unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup gluten-free flour (recipe found here or pre-packaged mix found here)
- 1 cup corn meal
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Heatoven to 400 degrees.
- Melt butter.
- Brush some of the melted butter on 12-cup muffin tin.
- Place tin in oven.
- Mix together milk, melted butter, and eggs
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- Swiftly stir wet ingredients into dry; do not overmix.
- Carefully, spoon ingredients into hot, buttered muffin tin
- In lower third of oven, bake 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from tin; wrap in dishtowel in dish or basket if serving immediately.
- Otherwise place on wire rack, wrap individually in foil, seal in plastic freezer bag. Reheat before serving.
Natasha's Mint Marinated Strawberries
- 6 mint leaves minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 large strawberries cut into pieces
- Put mint, sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir constantly until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the mint simple syrup over the strawberries and let them sit for five minutes.
Gran Fran's Almond Milk Blender Cappuccino
you will need a blender (ok, seems obvious, but thought I should mention it)
- 2 cups hot coffee, if it’s winter; cold if it’s summer
- 1 cup almond milk (Gran Fran uses whole milk)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 ice cubes if it’s summer
- Cinnamon, optional
- Place all ingredients in blender; adjust amounts to fit capacity of blender.
- Hold down cap of blender with a dish towel.
- Turn blender on high.
- Blend until frothy and creamy.
- Pour into glasses or cups. Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.
- Serve immediately.